What are Tonsils and Adenoids?
Tonsils are lumps of soft tissue that are present on both sides at the back of mouth. Their size may vary from person to person. You can normally see tonsils by opening your mouth wide and looking at the mirror.
Adenoids are made of similar tissues as tonsils and are present high in the throat behind the nose& hang from upper part of the mouth. You can’t see adenoids in mirror but your doctor can see it using special instruments.
Both Tonsils and Adenoids are part of the immune system that prevent bacteria & viruses from entering the body through mouth or nose. But at times, they themselves get infected causing a lot of trouble for the person.
What problems affect Tonsils and Adenoids?
A number of problems affect Tonsils and Adenoids, namely:
- Recurrent infections of nose and throat
- Enlargement of Tonsils and Adenoids
- Abscesses around Tonsils
- Chronic tonsillitis
- Infections of small pockets within tonsils
- Cancer of tonsil
What is tonsillitis and its symptoms?
Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils. The various symptoms may include:
- Swelling of tonsils
- Reddened tonsils
- White/yellow coating on tonsils
- Change in voice due to swelling
- Throat pain
- Ear pain
- Sore throat
- Painful and difficulty swallowing
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Bad breath
What are enlarged Tonsils& Adenoids and their symptoms?
When Tonsils and Adenoids become enlarged, it becomes difficult for a person to breathe. In fact, breathing during sleep is also disturbed. Various symptoms of enlarged Tonsils and Adenoids are:
- Hard to breathe through nose, so person breathes through mouth
- When person speaks, his nose sounds as if it is blocked
- Chronic runny nose
- Noisy breathing during the day
- Recurrent ear infection
- Snoring at night
- Discomfort while asleep, breathing stops & starts during sleep
How can diseases of Tonsils and Adenoids be treated?
Initially, your doctor would recommend antibiotics treatment for Tonsils and Adenoids diseases. But in severe cases, surgery is suggested to remove Tonsils and Adenoids.