What is arthritis?
Arthritis is an inflammation of a joint (where two or more bones meet) that causes pain, stiffness and swelling in joints or other surrounding body structures such as muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones.Arthritis and other rheumatic diseases are often mistakenly associated with old age, because osteoarthritis (the most common form of arthritis) occurs more often among elderly persons. However, arthritis and other rheumatic diseases affect people of all ages.
There are many different types of arthritis, namely: Degenerative Arthritis, Inflammatory Arthritis, Infectious Arthritis and Metabolic Arthritis.
What are the symptoms of arthritis?
- Pain, stiffness and swelling in joints
- Redness surrounding joint
- Limited mobility
- Bone growth and loss of grip (degenerative)
What are the causes of Arthritis?
The causes of arthritis depend on the type or form of disease you have. Possible causes can be:
- Elderly age
- Infection of joints
- Immune system dysfunction
- Metabolic abnormalities (gout and pseudogout)
Treatment for arthritis:depending on type of arthritis
- Physical therapy
- Joint assistive aids like walking aids
- Non-pharmacologic therapies
- Weight loss
- Joint replacement surgery(degenerative)’
- Other surgeries