What is Fistula?
A Fistula is an abnormal connection that is formed in the form of tunnel between two parts inside the body. Fistula can be formed between:
- Esophagus and the windpipe
- Bowel and the vagina
- Between two blood vessels such as between an artery and vein or between two arteries
What are the causes of Fistula?
The most common causes of a Fistula are:
- Congenital defect
- Complications from surgery
- Certain diseases (Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)
What are the symptoms of Fistula?
The signs and symptoms of fistula include:
- Skin irritation and pain in the affected area
- Swelling and redness in the affected area
- Fever in case the condition is severe
- Smelly discharge from near anus in case of anal fistula
- Passing blood or pus while from the fistula opening.
How can Fistula be treated?
Some Fistula can close on their own and they don’t require any treatment. However, majority of them need surgical repair that involves fistulotomy, seton procedures and other procedures like filling the fistula with glue, blocking it with special plug or covering it with a tissue.