What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism, also known as underactive thyroid disease, is a very common problem in which your thyroid gland is unable to make sufficient thyroid hormones. Since thyroid hormone is responsible for body’s metabolism, but with this condition, there is slow metabolism in the body.
What are the causes of Hypothyroidism?
Various factors responsible for Hypothyroidism are:
- Autoimmune disorder
- Radiation therapy to the neck area
- Radioactive iodine treatment
- Use of certain medications
- Thyroid surgery
- Too little iodine in diet
- Congenital disease
- Pituitary disorder
What are the symptoms of Hypothyroidism?
The most common symptoms of Hypothyroidism are:
- Weight gain
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Muscle weakness and muscle ache
- Painful, stiff and swollen joints
- Changes in menstrual cycle (irregular periods or heavy bleeding)
- Thinning of hair
- Impaired memory
- Slow heart rate
How can Hypothyroidism be treated?
The standard treatment for Hypothyroidism involves daily intake of pill, that is synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine.