What is infertility?
Infertility is a condition in which the couple has been trying to conceive for more than a year but has got no success. Generally medical assistance is needed to get pregnant in such cases and it may not be possible to get pregnant without help.
What is subfertility?
Subfertility means that there are less chances for pregnancy but this doesn’t mean complete inability to get pregnant. A person who is subfertile has pretty good chances of getting pregnant but it may take little longer for that.
What are the causes of infertility/subfertility in males and females?
The most common causes of infertility/subfertility in females are:
- Ovulatory problems
- Damage to fallopian tubes
- Conditions affecting uterus
- Age factor
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Gynaecological problems- previous ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage
- Medical problems – diabetes, epilepsy, thyroid, bowel diseases
- Lifestyle factors – obesity, smoking, stress
The most common causes of infertility/subfertility in males are:
- Low sperm count
- Low quality sperm
- Erectile dysfunction
- Ejaculation problems
- Inflamed testes
- Previous bacterial infection that caused scarring and blocked tubes
- Received some medical treatment like radiotherapy, surgery or drug therapy
- Genetic problems
What are the treatment options forinfertility/subfertility in males and females?
- Induction of ovulation for fertility
- Insemination – IUI
- In vitro fertilisation – IVF
- Egg donation – IVF using donor eggs
- Surgery for infertility