What is a Nasal deformity?
A nasal deformity refers to any abnormal variation in the appearance of the nose that not only causes changes in facial appearance but also results in nasal complaints. Nasal Deformities can be classified as:
- Cosmetic deformity – It refers to the less desirable appearance of the nose.
- Functional deformity–It refers to problems disrupting the normal functioning of the nose like nasal blockage, noisy breathing, snoring, loss of smell, recurrence of nose bleeding and sinusitis.
What causes Nasal Deformities?
Nasal Deformities occur due to:
- Congenital defect (present since birth)
- Nasal trauma
- Prior nasal surgery
- Age factor (increasing age causes weakening or collapse of nasal structures)
- Certain medical conditions like Sarcoidosis, Wegner’s disease, Relapsing Polychondritisetc affect nasal appearance as well as function
How can Nasal Deformities be treated?
Nasal Deformities can be treated via surgical procedures depending on your nasal functional or cosmetic deformities, namely:
- Rhinoplasty or nose job
- Closed reduction