What is Osteomalacia?
Osteomalacia is a condition that causes softening of bones, majorly due to deficiency of Vitamin D. In Osteomalacia, a person faces problems with bone formation or bone building process. It can lead to fractures in older adults.
What causes Osteomalacia?
The main reasons for the occurrence of Osteomalacia are:
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Certain surgeries like surgery done to remove part of your stomach or small intestine
- Celiac disease
- Kidney or liver disorders
- Drugs used to treat seizure
- Certain cancers
What are the symptoms of Osteomalacia?
The various signs and symptoms of Osteomalacia include:
- Bone pain especially in hips, pelvic, legs, lower back and ribs
- Muscle weakness
- Easy fractures
How can Osteomalacia be treated?
Osteomalacia can be treated by:
- Sufficient intake of Vitamin D, calcium and phosphorous through supplements or diet
- Treating conditions that affect Vitamin D calcium metabolism