What do you mean by Premature Puberty?
Puberty is when your child develops physically and emotionally into young men and men. Puberty generally begins after 7-8 years of age in girls and 9 years in case of boys. But when child begins to start showing signs of puberty earlier than this age, it is considered as Premature or Precocious puberty. Puberty mainly involves transformation in shape & size of body, growth of bones & muscles and development of body’s ability to reproduce.
What causes Premature Puberty?
The various causes of Premature Puberty are:
- Tumor in brain/spinal cord
- Congenital birth defect
- Brain injury (from surgery or blow to head)
- Inflammation of brain from infection
- Tumor in adrenal glands
What are the symptoms of Premature Puberty?
The symptoms of Premature Puberty include:
- Girls – Breast growth, First period
- Boys – Enlarged testicles and penis, Facial Hair, change of voice
- Both girls and boys – Acne, Pubic or underarm air, adult body odor
How can Premature Puberty be treated?
Premature Puberty can be treated by diagnosing and treating the underlying cause. Your doctor will give you medications to treat the problem in case there is no underlying medical condition.