What is Vaginal Discharge?
Vaginal Discharge is a fluid made by glands inside the vagina and cervix that carries away dead cells & bacteria. It helps in keeping your vagina moist and prevents infection. Normal vaginal discharge is:
- Clear or white
- Not smelly
- Thick and sticky
- Wetter and more slippery around ovulation period
What is abnormal vaginal discharge?
Abnormal vaginal discharge is a sign of some problem. It includes:
- Grey, green, yellow, pink or blood tinged discharge
- An unpleasant smell
- Thick or lumpy discharge
- More discharge than normal
- Vaginal itching or burning sensation
- Pain while peeing
- Pelvic pain
What is Vaginitis?
Vaginitis refers to the inflammation of the vagina that occurs due to yeast, bacterial or Trichomonas infection. It can also occur due to physical or chemical irritation of the area. It results in discharge, itching and pain in the vagina.
What is Cervicitis?
Cervicitis refers to the inflammation of the cervix (lower end of uterus that opens into the vagina). It occurs due to irritation, infection and injury caused to the cells that line the cervix. It results in swelling and redness in cervix with ooze mucus and pus. At times, bleeding is also caused on being touched.
What is Benign and Malignant disorders of Cervix?
Benigndisorders of Cervix are harmless and can be easily treated. They are Cervical ectopy, Cervical eversion, Cervical tears, Cervical cyst, Endocervical polyp and Inflammatory conditions of cervix.
Malignant disorders of Cervix are dangerous and require immediate treatment. CIN I, CIN II, CIN III and Cervical cancer.
What are the causes of abnormal vaginal discharge?
The most common causes of abnormal vaginal discharge are:
- Bacterial infection of vagina
- Thrush – overgrowth of yeast causes vaginal infection
- Trichomoniasis – STI caused by parasite
- Gonorrhoea – STI caused by bacteria
- Genital herpes – STI caused by virus
How is abnormal vaginal discharge treated?
The treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge depending on the underlying cause.
- If it is a yeast infection, it is treated by antifungal medications inserted into the vagina & oral medication.
- If it is a bacterial infection, it is treated by antibiotics pills and creams.
- If the infection is caused by parasite, it is treated with certain medications.
- Foul smelling and blood stained discharge needs immediate attention