What is Cataract?
Cataract is a common condition in older adults & can occur at any age in which there is clouding of the normally clear lens of the eye, that lies between the iris and pupil. People with cataract find it difficult to read, drive especially at night or see the expression on friend’s face due to blurred vision. It is just like looking through a frosty or fogged-up window. Usually cataract progresses slowly over many years and eventually it starts interfering with your vision.
What causes Cataract?
Cataract develops in your eye when protein builds up in the eye lens and makes it cloudy, thereby, obstructing light from passing through it. Number of reasons are responsible for Cataract, namely:
- Increasing age
- Inherited genetic disorders
- Injury to the tissue that makes eye-lens
- Long-term use of steroids
- Other medical conditions like diabetes
What are the symptoms of Cataract?
Generally, one doesn’t experience any symptoms initially but as the disease progresses, signs and symptoms begin to appear:
- Cloudy, blurred, foggy vision
- Near-sightedness in older people
- Increased difficulty with vision at night
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Brighter light required for reading or other activities
- Appearance of “halos” around lights
- Changes in the way you see colours
- Trouble with eyeglasses or contact lens Double vision in affected eye
How can Cataract be treated?
Doctors will check if your vision can be corrected using glasses or lens and will give you related prescription. In majority of the cases, Cataract surgery is recommended to correct your vision. It is a very safe and effective procedure that is of great help to the patients.
The treatment of cataract is very simple & takes very little time.