What are Growth disorders?
Growth disorders are the problems due to which children are unable to achieve normal height, weight, sexual maturity or other features.
What are the various causes for Growth disorders?
The various causes for Growth disorders are:
- Familial short stature
- Illnesses that affect the whole body (diseases of kidney, digestive tract, heart and lungs, diabetes, stress)
- Constant malnutrition
- Hormone disorders
- Congenital problems in the tissues where growth occurs
- Chromosome abnormality
What are the symptoms of Growth disorders?
Various symptoms of Growth disorders in children are:
- Significantly shorter height than peers of same age
- Child’s face may appear younger than peers of same age
- Delayed puberty
- Increased fat around face & stomach
- Slow tooth development
- Slow hair growth
How can Growth disorders be treated?
The treatment for Growth disorders depends on treating the underlying cause and may include:
- Sex hormones – to replace those that are missing or with low levels
- Treatment with Growth hormone
- Radiation therapy