What is Sports Injury?
Sports Injury is an injury that occurs when you are playing sports or exercising. It can affect any part of your body that includes your muscles, bones, joints, tendons and ligaments. Some common types of sports injuries are:
- Muscle sprains and strain
- Knee injuries
- Swollen muscles
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Pain along the shin bone
- Rotator cuff injuries
What causes Sports Injury?
Sports Injury can occur due to various reasons, namely:
- Poor training practises
- Lack of conditioning
- Improper techniques
- Improper gear
- Insufficient warming up or stretching
What are the symptoms of Sports Injury?
There are some common symptoms of Sports Injury that include:
- Pain, swelling and tenderness around the joint/muscle
- Difficulty or inability to use the muscle/joint
- Not being able to place weight on leg, knee, ankle or feet
- Extreme leg or arm weakness
- A bone or joint that is visibly out of place
How can Sports Injury be treated?
The first treatment approach for Sports Injury is RICE method – Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. This helps you to get relief from pain, swelling as well as speeds your recovery.
In case, you don’t get any success with RICE method then your doctor will recommend following options depending on the severity of your condition:
- NSAIDs to reduce swelling & pain
- Immobilization comprising of slings, splints, casts and leg immobilizers
- Rehabilitation (exercise)
- Other therapies like mild electrical currents, cold packs, heat packs, sound waves and massage